Skip to main content

Coming back to the distance! Challenge Taiwan 2014

It takes me a long while to come back to the 70.3 distance triathlon since my disaster finish in 2010 Ironman Taiwan.
It is like a bit of a cycle in economic, I gone though the recession, the depression and the recovery period of doing this sports in these few years, since I started doing this in 2004.
I learn from my G and realized what it takes to achieve the result. started from November 2013, it was the time I kicked off the plan to prepare this Challenge Taiwan half iron distance triathlon!

The Plan

I reviewed my work schedule and fine tuning my training routine, I think winter time is rather suitable for my preparation!

My super G keeps remaining me the importance of being consistency at training, it is the core value of the entire training plan. So I moved my evening work meeting to Thur 9pm, I can off work sharp and insert a weekly 60-90mins LSD office 2 home run in between that I learn from the Aussie, which also help on my run endurance I always miss! I had a great run off bike at New World Triathlon in 1st December so I think I am on the right plan to build the base.

New World Triathlon in HK Victoria Harbor
Started from Jan 2014, Sonic's training turned into 2hrs run on Mon and 2hrs swim on Wed, I then aimed at maintaining 90-100% attendance and completing the whole program, inserted turbo sesh on Tues, long ride on weekend. No morning and Fri session as I know I strictly not a morning bird and I like Friday nite social. I inserted China Coast Half Marathon in Jan which is the toughest hilly course in Hong Kong, and Standard Chartered Half Marathon in Feb as part of my training. I ran my PB at 2:01hrs and 2:00hrs respectively. (or you can say I always run like jogging...) They are all good lead to my run endurance and I also made the most of Christmas and Chinese New Year holiday to train,  it worked out quite well for the first two months!

G catching me on China Coast Half Marathon

At Standard Chartered Marathon - last 3km
Stepping into March, I aligned the LSD plan with G so we could train together without conflict on any logistic and living aspect e.g. who prepare the meal?!
I let G do the Tue turbo so I could prepare the meal or work tasks, and I mainly focus on Sonic's sessions, switched the LSD run to Sat, so I could have a relax Friday night, LSD bike on Sunday with my Sonic fellas and focus on hill climb endurance, I also took a weekly day off for gradually increasing the volume and intensity without too much impact on living.

Colorful Training Plan for March

The Mentality and Motivation

I also adjusted my mentality towards the race; It is the race I need to be better prepare. I feel like it's my only second chance and I see this as the last one. I turned myself from over-considerate into little bit of self-fish since I have a race to do and I have to train consistently. I might give up the training to do bag-watch for the club or standing on the pool desk but not anymore.
Consistence is once again the key, G and I keep running be it pouring rain, be it foggy or cold.
And we found the sweet spot as a couple triathletes to train for the same race - align the schedule and we motivate each other along the progress!  

The Tools and The Final Preparation

I was quite stubborn on tools, I am kind of old skool on tools and gear in triathlon since I believed it's all about the training. Somehow it's time to adjust a little on this through, and I started believing in comfy aspect so I could perform. I changed a few items on my bike, a Fizki noseless Tritone Saddle (that took me few times to trial-n-tuning the angle), a new frontend with clip-on aero bar, and CULT bearing on my BORA ULTRA TWO wheelsets.


I recall all the mistakes from my first 70.3; I no longer concern on the weather since this is the external factor I have to keep racing be it windy or be it hot; In last two weeks I start putting on wetsuit on my 2hrs swim sesh to get used to the buoyancy and inflexibility to my strokes, I know which temperature to myself to define wetsuit swim without interfered by the official wetsuit rules (it's quite conservative in Asia).  I ordered the cycling headband to keeping the sweat from dripping into my eyes. 

During the tapering week, I felt fresh and I felt I am prepared, just need to protect my body and don't get sick!
Colorful chart presenting 6ths of effort - part of my motivation



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

梁繼璋給兒子的信

香港知名DJ梁繼璋給兒子的信 我兒:寫這備忘錄給你,基於三個原則: ● 人生福禍無常,誰也不知可以活多久,有些事情還是早一點說好。 ● 我是你的父親,我不跟你說,沒有人會跟你說這些事? ● 這備忘錄記載的,都是我經過慘痛失敗得來的體驗,可以為你的成長 省不少冤枉路。 以下,便是你在人生中要好好記住的事: (一)對你不好的人,你不要太介意,在你一生中,沒有人有義務要 對你好,除了我和你媽媽。至於那些對你好的人,你除了要珍惜、感 恩外,也請多防備一點,因為,每個人做每件事,總有一個原因,他 對你好,未必真的是因為喜歡你,請你務必搞清楚,而不必太快將對 方看作真朋友。 (二)沒有人是不可代替,沒有東西是必須擁有。看透了這一點,將 來你身邊的人不再要你,或許失去了世間上最愛的一切時,也應該明 白,這並不是什麼大不了的事。 (三)生命是短暫的,今日你還在浪費著生命,明日會發覺生命已遠 離你了。因此,愈早珍惜生命,你享受生命的日子也愈多,與其盼望 長壽,倒不如早點享受。 (四)世界上並沒有最愛這回事,愛情只是一種霎時的感覺,而這感 覺絕對會隨時日、心境而改變。如果你所謂的最愛離開你,請耐心地 等候一下,讓時日慢慢沖洗,讓心靈慢慢沉澱,你的苦就會慢慢淡化 。不要過分憧憬愛情的美,不要過分誇大失戀的悲。 (五)雖然很多有成就的人士都沒有受過很多教育,但並不等於不用 功讀書,就一定可以成功。你學到的知識,就是你擁有的武器,可以 白手興家,但不可手無寸鐵,謹記! (六)我不會要求你供養我下半輩子,同樣地,我也不會供養你的下 半輩子,當你長大可以獨立時,我的責任已經完結。以後,你要坐巴 士還是賓士,吃魚翅還是粉絲,都要自己負責。 (七)你可以要求自己守信,但不能要求別人守信,你可以要求自己 對人好,但不能期待人家對你好。你怎樣對人,並不代表人家就會怎 樣對你,如果看不透這一點,你只會徒增不必要的煩惱。 (八)我買了十多二十年的六合彩,還是一窮二白,連三獎也沒有中 ,這證明人要發達,還是要努力工作才可以,世界上沒有免費午餐。 (九)親人只有一次的緣分,無論這輩子我和你會相處多久,都請好 好珍惜共聚的時光,下輩子,無論愛與不愛,都不會再見。

街知巷聞﹕站在柴灣道 細味日常故事

街知巷聞﹕站在柴灣道 細味日常故事-A+A明報 – 2011年12月11日星期日上午5:54寄給朋友列印【明報專訊】明報大廈位於柴灣,我卻極少注意這個地區。上班下班匆匆而過,不是老舊公屋就是工廠大廈。翻開柴灣的歷史,過往數十年來,追趕着柴灣發展的都是居住和就業需求,「里程碑」不外乎幾幾年建了XX邨、幾幾年又拆了XX邨再重建,某年開始引進工業,某年填海某年建成某道路……一切都順着城市整體的步伐來,既不領先亦不對抗。主題除了生存與工作,就是疾病(醫院)與死亡(墳場),最基本不過。然而,柴灣的地理位置其實很美;三面環山的谷地,水源豐富,盛產木材。位於港島東盡頭,從前卻稱為「西灣」。原來在東區聚居的客家人常到此砍柴,客家話中的「柴」字近似粵音「西」字,故被誤讀多年,也曾出現「Sai Wan」的英文舊稱。後來柴灣終於獲正名,但東邊的「小柴灣」卻繼續被叫做「小西灣」,沿用至今。長命斜見證柴灣變遷香港開埠以前,柴灣只有30名客家村民,1891年增加至208人,一直種田打魚為生。殖民政府在港島區的規劃以中環、灣仔為發展中心,電車只鋪到筲箕灣,以鯉魚門為軍事門戶,設置軍營和炮台(成為今日的香港海防博物館);鯉魚門以東的柴灣,無險可守,無車路可達,荒蕪得吸引了香港童軍總會於1925年建立營地,老街坊稱該小山坡為「童軍山」,位置就在今日港鐵站旁的柴灣公園。1950年代以前,柴灣連巴士也不到。對外的唯一路徑,是柏架山與柴灣坳的夾縫間、有長命斜之稱的柴灣道。但當時的柴灣道甚為狹窄,唯一一條來往灣仔的8號巴士線,只能駛至現時東區醫院洗衣房的位置,居民再自行步入柴灣。50年代開始,內地難民大量湧港,市區居住空間不足,部分貧苦家庭選擇落戶於柴灣這邊陲之地。大片木屋、寮屋,由山腰一直伸延至海邊。1968年,柴灣人口增至8萬人。小城小事 一切來得踏實柏架山下的故事,不像對岸的獅子山那樣激動人心。1959年木屋區被清拆改建成27幢徙置大廈,70年代開始徒置區又陸續改建成公共屋邨,同時興建工廠大廈提供就業機會、擴闊道路改善交通,直至80年代地鐵通車、東區走廊啟用,柴灣居民仍是自成一隅地默默生活着,一直沒發生什麼轟烈的大災難或大事件。日常生活裏每遇到柴灣人,聽他們談起「我細個在柴灣大的……」,語氣並不特別自豪,卻總是愉快,底子裏是踏實的、關於家的回憶。a. 羅屋民俗館柴灣早期的木屋平房都已清拆,唯一保留下來

Why Campagnolo Bora Ultra?

from Tri Gear Review Gear: Campagnolo Bora Ultra: Remarkably Smooth Ride The first thing you notice about Campagnolo's Bora Ultras is their beauty. Due to their looks or perhaps because they are relatively rare and so expensive, few wheelsets draw as many remarks. The carbon weave of the rim and hub is far more exciting than the black plastic look of most competitors’ carbon wheels. Moreover, they look and feel remarkably well made and the individual parts are well integrated. The hub, axle and bearing assembly is especially nice and easy to work with. I also like the way the spokes just seem to disappear into carbon; there's no nipple or flange that you can see, they just poke through the hub and then slide back into the rim. This may be one reason why they perform so well in the wind tunnel. I installed Tufo Elite Jet tires on the Boras with Tufo Extreme tape. Tires mount to the Boras just like they do to any other carbon tubular wheel. I use Tufo Elite Jet tires on every w

Garmin Connect - my new training log start from 2011

After all those years with Polar, Sportstrack, I am moving forward to use GarminConnect as my training blog start from 2011! It's web-based, crosss-platform. It allows sharing to multiple web platform, e.g. blogger, facebook... It's Google Earth compatible. I just need to figure out how to log my equipment mileages e.g. running shoes, wheels...

Handsome boy modeling school

The Lapel Buttonhole Posted on March 29, 2012 4 If your dinner jacket was constructed without a lapel buttonhole and you wish your tailor to add one so that you may sport a boutonniere (which the British confusingly also call a “buttonhole”), you have a couple of options. You can get a keyhole shaped opening like the ones used for the jacket’s waist and sleeve buttons or you can get a straight hole like the one shown here. Some will argue that the latter is a mark of a better suit but the fact is that both styles are used by quality suitmakers. Therefore it’s a matter of personal preference. I’m partial to the inconspicuousness of the straight option given the very visible placement of the hole high up on the chest and (usually) surrounded by satin. Also, whether your buttonhole is original or “after market” (as automotive enthusiasts would say), consider having a thread added behind the lapel to hold the flower in place. A more fussy alternative is a minature boutonniere hol

IRONMAN Certified Coach

I took a chance of my mid-season break between two major race to attend the coaching course. I've done some research on the pros and cons, Trisutto disagree with the M-Dot coaching concept said it was misleading and not qualified for high performance coaching. http://trisutto.com/ironman-university-it-gets-worse/ Yes I agree you will not be qualified for high performance coaching but the course content did deliver wide aspect of knowledge you need to finish a IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 event. That's the key. The course lead you to become a coach for the beginner or intermediate triathlete that aim to finish the race in the systematic approach. That's the majority of triathlete who are just working hard for their PB instead of podium finish or a Kona slot. So I am more lean towards this post: http://bri-tri.com/2016/01/09/ironman-university-certified/ So I go register and pay for that US$599!!! Over the last 13 yrs of my triathlon journey and learning from coach Kenneth, it ma

2017 PuYuMa 113 Triathlon

Road to Puyuma113 Triathlon After the year of sabbatical of triathlon in 2016, I picked up the training again last December to condition my body prior the training program from Jan to Mar. It was a repeat of 2014. Just I ran slower pace during the training. Still, I made used of the winter season in Hong Kong to gain back my fitness, I took the half marathon at China Coast and HK Marathon as my training run even my run time was quite disappointing. I more or less take the same training schedule as in 2014 and 2015. Monday: Sonic interval/tempo run 1.5 hours Tuesday: My own bike turbo 1 - 1.5 hours with little conditioning Wednesday: Sonic swim 1.5 - 2 hours Thursday: Office2Home run 1.5 hours Friday off Saturday: Long bike Sunday: Sonic Brick session I did little tricks on the schedule, gear and nutrition plan this time. On schedule and training plan, I add core and lower legs conditioning on Tuesday since I realised the lower part of the body is still the ke

My First RRL chino pants

In love with RRL , so expensive!!! A faithful reproduction of a 1940s British military officer model.